About the Lab
NYC Media Lab connects digital media and technology companies with New York City's universities to drive innovation, entrepreneurship and talent development. A public-private partnership launched by the New York City Economic Development Corporation, NYC Media Lab funds seed projects that foster collaboration across a range of disciplines core to the future of media and runs The Combine, an early stage accelerator for emerging media and technology startups.
NYC Media Lab Combine seeks to coordinate the community of faculty, entrepreneurs and media executives and technologists that participate in the Lab to build a ‘spinoff engine’ focused on commercializing media technologies from universities. The program is supported by funding from the New York City Economic Development Corporation, the Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment, and through the support of NYC Media Lab’s corporate membership. The goal for the Combine is to match new technologies emerging in university labs, studios, classrooms and dorms with a program and resources to commercialize them in order to launch startup companies.
About this role
The Manager of Entrepreneurship Programs will be responsible for coordinating NYC Media Lab’s Combine Program. The successful candidate will be a dynamic individual with a passion for the media and communications industry and demonstrated experience working in the startup and emerging media technology entrepreneurship ecosystem. There is a high degree of creative latitude in this position, but also a lot of detail. The successful candidate will, for instance, express big ideas on Medium one day and organize the logistics for a training session. The Manager will plan and execute a variety of meetings, events and activities that bring together entrepreneurs in the Combine program with the Lab’s diverse stakeholders ranging from senior executives at the world’s leading media companies to investors and other interested parties.
- Lead NYC Media Lab Combine relationships with media and tech companies and entrepreneurs in The Combine program
- Understand the needs and support entrepreneurs and alumni companies in the Combine community
- Lead the production and execution of Combine events and workshops, such as Demo Day, skills clinics, information sessions, etc.
- Develop entrepreneurship and mentorship programs that grow a pipeline of new startup concepts
- Assist the Manager of Partnerships with corporate sponsorships
- Assist the Manager of Communications with storytelling, communications and social media related to The Combine program
Key Qualities of a successful candidate:
- Deep understanding of media and tech companies, startup ecosystems, and entrepreneurship
- Demonstrated excellent project management experience, possessing the ability to juggle multiple projects under tight deadlines
- Strong quantitative and problem-solving skills, comfort with business and financial models, and skill working with data sets
- Outgoing personality, ability to work with multiple stakeholders from various backgrounds including government and academic institutions
- Demonstrated leadership for growing team and volunteers
- Strong work ethic and a desire to build a strong network