VERIZON QUANTIFYING AUGMENTED REALITY MARKET RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP
HOW WILL AR CHANGE MEDIA, ADVERTISING, SPORTS AND SMART CITIES?
In partnership with Verizon Open Innovation, NYC Media Lab will manage a market research project for current MBA students at NYC universities. The goal is to focus on explaining what’s state-of-the-art and what’s achievable in the next 3 years for augmented reality. The team will be awarded a $10,000 award (to be split among the participants) from NYC Media Lab to complete this project.
The verticals of focus are: media, advertising, sports and smart cities. These areas are key to Verizon’s business growth and innovation strategy. This project seeks a research working group of MBA students to produce a slide presentation and an accompanying white paper detailing opportunities and business case studies. MBA students must form their own team of 3-5 people when applying for this opportunity.
Find more details and the application below. The application deadline is Sunday, October 1st 2017.
1) The primary output for the working group will be the slide deck. The group will be expected to deliver a 1-hour presentation at Verizon Open Innovation with a comprehensive deck. Following the presentation will be a Q+A session with Verizon Open Innovation, other invited guests from Verizon, and NYC Media Lab. Final deliverables also include back-up materials gathered for this presentation.
2) The group will also be expected to deliver a white paper (10-15 pages) to accompany the deck.
Both deliverables should have:
- An executive summary
- Focus on 4 areas: media, advertising, sports and smart cities
- Focus area pages will include a minimum of 25 primary source interviews.
- The research will detail what may be relevant in the next 2-5 years. This project is not intended to provide an outlook beyond 5 years.
- It will be necessary to provide examples of current use cases that explain which specific companies are actively pursuing the market opportunity. Also, the research should describe details on fundraising and public perception of the companies.
- The research will provide high-level overviews on the technologies that enable use cases in the verticals, and indicate a timeline for expectations for maturity of the technologies.
- Source material including footnotes and references
- Exhibits and charts
The ideal candidates will possess:
- 2+ years of professional experience in investment banking, corporate development, management consulting or market research
- A writing sample of an industry-specific white paper
- A sample of a PowerPoint presentation that was previously delivered to an executive audience
- A demonstrated interest in emerging media technologies and the telecommunications, technology and media sectors
- Excellent communication skills
What to expect for the Fellowship:
The selected team will be expected to be self-directed, proactive and work in a fluid manner with NYC Media Lab and Verizon throughout the project. The team will assign a project Lead to be in contact with NYC Media Lab on a weekly basis for brief check-ins about progress. NYC Media Lab and Verizon will help with introductions for primary research, but the team will be expected to tap into their own networks from school (professors, alumni, peers, etc) to investigate the market research questions. There are a number of professional development opportunities that can emerge from the fellowship: connections and networking, internships/job openings, speaking engagements, and more. As NYC Media Lab pushes forward with establishing the country’s first VR/AR Lab, this project will be part of the community of innovators seeking to advance VR and AR technology in NYC.
Verizon executives who will provide support during the Fellowship:
- Christian Guirnalda, Director, Open Innovation
- Christian Egeler, Head of Envrmnt (VR/AR/MR) at Verizon
- Jessica Lauretti, Head of RYOT Studio
- And more to come!
September: Application opens
October 1: Application deadline
October 6: Interview with finalists at Verizon Open Innovation
October 12: Project Kickoff Meeting at Verizon Open Innovation; Set goals, align on expectations for project deliverables
October 19: 30-minute check-in meeting with NYC Media Lab
October 26: 30-minute check-in meeting with NYC Media Lab
November 2: 30-minute check-in meeting with NYC Media Lab
November 7: Project Midpoint Meeting at Verizon Open Innovation; Fellows will present their market research progress
November 16: 30-minute check-in meeting with NYC Media Lab
November 30: 30-minute check-in meeting with NYC Media Lab
Blend is a prototype that enables creatives to build mixed reality advertising experiences. Verizon Open Innovation funded the prototype development of Blend in the Verizon Connected Futures II program.
December 7: Practice presentation with NYC Media Lab
December 8: Final presentation at Verizon Open Innovation; Fellows deliver final presentation and white paper.