APPLY FOR NYC MEDIA LAB'S XR STARTUP BOOTCAMP!
NYC Media Lab is seeking NYC university-based teams that endeavor to start new companies.
Join NYC Media Lab’s XR Startup Bootcamp, an accelerator for startup teams focusing on VR/AR, voice technology and other future interfaces. The program will empower teams to adopt the "lean" startup method to search for and develop a business model for their startup concept. The program runs from September through November 2018 at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Participating teams will receive mentorship from leading media and technology executives and investors from NYC Media Lab Member Companies and $10,000 in funding.
Applications are open until August 3, 2018.
Curriculum: The program provides a structured "flipped classroom" curriculum for entrepreneurial teams. The curriculum includes video lectures, "field research" for customer discovery, and weekly presentations that show evidence of understanding of the fundamentals of market validation and business model generation. Combine teams will conduct over 100 customer interviews in the program. Teams will develop a business model canvas in the program.
Community: The cohort-based program is a major benefit. Teams support and learn from each other. The commitment to the other teams in the program results in the overall success and strength of the cohort.
Mentorship: The teams in the startup bootcamp will be exposed to Mentors from NYC Media Lab's network of innovation executives, faculty experts, and alumni startup teams. These Mentors are passionate about and experienced in innovation and entrepreneurship and will support the program’s startup teams through advice, introductions, access to resources and more.
Funding: Teams are awarded $10,000 in grant funding when accepted into the program. Following successful completion of the program, teams are eligible for additional grant funding.
Other Resources: The XR Startup Bootcamp will be housed at the new VR/AR Lab at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. This is a state-of-the-art facility with access to hardware, software, workspace, and more.
June and July 2018: Recruitment
VIRTUAL INFORMATION SESSIONS: RSVP for one of the following virtual information sessions here.
- Thursday, June 21: Google Hangout from 2:00pm-3:00pm EST
- Wednesday, July 11: Google Hangout from 10:00-11:00am EST
- Tuesday, July 24: Google Hangout from 12:00noon -1:00pm EST
IN-PERSON INFORMATION SESSIONS
- Tuesday, June 26: Breakfast at NYU Media & Games Network from 9:00am-10:00am EST. RSVP here.
- Thursday, July 12: Information Session at Room 620 CEPSR (Schapiro building, 530 West 120th Street, between Broadway and Amsterdam) at Columbia University School of Engineering and Applied Science at 6:00pm. RSVP to Amy Chen at email@example.com.
- Thursday, July 19: Happy Hour at Parsons School of Design from 4:00-6:00pm EST. RSVP here.
EVENTS AROUND NYC WHERE YOU CAN MEET NYC MEDIA LAB TO DISCUSS THE XR STARTUP BOOTCAMP
- Wednesday, July 11: Columbia Digital Storytelling Lab Meetup at the Film Society at Lincoln Center - Elinor Bunin Film Center auditorium 144 W 65th St from 7:00-10:00PM EST. RSVP here.
- Tuesday, July 31: ARKit-NYC Meetup at Movable Ink 5 Bryant Park from 7:00-9:00PM EST. RSVP here.
August 2018: Deadline, Interviews and Selection of Cohort
- August 3: Deadline
- Wednesday, August 8: Finalist Interviews in New York City
- Thursday, August 9: Finalist Interviews in New York City
- Monday August 13: Finalist Interviews in New York City
- ~August 16: Selection of Cohort
NYC Media Lab is compiling an FAQ document and a "SEEKING TEAM MEMBERS BOARD" and both are linked here. The FAQ's will cover the common questions and answers from the information sessions. The "SEEKING TEAM MEMBERS BOARD" seeks to help individuals who are trying to seek collaborators or co-founders for ideas for applying to the program.
PROGRAM SCHEDULE AND TOPICS COVERED
- Thursday September 6 from 9:30am to 8:00pm which includes an evening reception: Intensive Orientation - An Introduction to the XR Startup Bootcamp and Business Models
- Friday September 7 from 9:30am to 4:00pm: Intensive Orientation - Customer Discovery and Team Planning
- Friday September 14 morning from 9am to 12noon: Value Propositions and Customer Segments, Competitors and Sizing the Market
- Thursday September 20 and Friday September 21: No in-person session. Teams are required to attend NYC Media Lab Summit
- Friday September 27 morning from 9am to 12noon: Minimum Viable Product
- Friday October 5 morning from 9am to 12noon: MVP Testing & Assessment
- Thursday October 11 from 6:00pm to 9:00pm: Storytelling Clinic
- Friday October 12 morning from 9am to 12noon: Channels, Revenue and Lifetime Customer Value
- Friday October 19 morning from 9am to 12noon: Revenue Models and Pricing Tactics
- Friday October 26 morning from 9am to 12noon: Partners
- Friday November 2 morning from 9am to 12noon: Resources, Activities, Costs
- Friday November 8: MVP Science Fair - Happy Hour (Evening from 6:00pm to 8:00pm)
- Friday November 9 morning from 9am to 12noon: Lessons Learned & Demo Day Prep
- Friday November 16 morning from 9am to 12noon: Storytelling Clinic II - Open Review of Pitches with Mentors
- Week of November 19: THANKSGIVING BREAK - no in-person session
- Wednesday November 28 from 9:30am to 5:00pm: Final Intensive Prep Day
- Thursday November 29: Demo Day at Exploring Future Reality at NYU Kimmel at 60 Washington Square South
Questions? Email Amy Chen, Director of Entrepreneurship Programs: amy.chen[@]nycmedialab.org.